This video is a recap of Friday night at the ARISE Music Festival featuring The Polish Ambassador, Lunar Fire, The ReMINDers, Rising Appalachia and more! For more info check out http://arisefestival.com
This video is a recap of Saturday night at the ARISE Music Festival featuring Ozomatli, Wildlight and more! For more info check out http://arisefestival.com
This video is a recap of Sunday at the ARISE Music Festival featuring Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, Trevor Hall and more! For more info check out http://arisefestival.com
As we count it now there are 30+ Colorado artists performing at this year’s ARISE Music Festival. With so many options for great local music we decided to give you the run down on a couple artists that are our favorites and a couple others we look forward to seeing for the first time.
All pictures and references are from the ARISE website.
Our Favorites Recommendations
- Skydyed – This Fort Collins 3 piece blends live instrumentation with the latest electronic production. Forming within the last year and a half, these guys are blowing up fast. Last year at ARISE they torched the the lid off the electronic stage and was easily one of our favorites of the festival.
- The ReMINDers – Hailing from Colorado Springs this soulful duo brings the message to you. Sharing a partnership in both music and life. The ReMINDers create family friendly hip-hop that transcends the bounds of what is traditionally expected. These two have been a favorite of ours for years!
- Tierro – Hailing from Boulder, Tierro is working double duty making ARISE happen, while also making music you can’t stop dancing to. Delivering a mystical dance experience Tierro’s guitar has been known to conjure up images of Santana and David Gilmore. Don’t miss your chance to see one of Colorado’s hardest working musicians.
- Hog MaGundy – Another Fort Collins band, Hog MaGundy delivers high- energy string music with a new kind of foot-stomping sound. With a packed summer ahead of them including a highly successful performance at Summer Camp Music Festival, Hog MaGundy will be primed and ready for ARISE.
- Project Aspect – This Denver based producer has been molding his musical skills for over a decade and developed this engaging and exploitative project in 2008. Described as having some of the fastest hands in the business Project Aspect exudes a style ranging from stunning anthems to earth shaking dance-floor bangers. Don’t miss your chance to see one of Colorado’s premier DJ/producers.
- Gipsy Moon – Straight out of Nederland and the mountains of Colorado like so many great string bands before them Gipsy Moon is making a name for themselves with their Gipsygrass. Described as a backwoods hoedown meets the smoking basement of a New York jazz club this group is intent on planting insperation in the soul and starting a fire in your heart. This is not to be missed!
Our Hopes for a First Time Encounter
- Analog Son – We’ve heard whispers all the way from Denver about a possible local super group. Only a few years old, Analog Son has brought some of the nations best artists together with some of Colorado’s funkiest performers. This incredible collection of musicians has created a melting pot of impromptu artistry and sizzling sound. We can’t wait to see them!
- Unlimited Gravity – A life long multi-talented musician from Denver, Unlimited Gravity tramples genre boundaries with an ingenious hybrid combining the chaotic energy of crunchy crunk beats with the calculated precision and intensity of a classically trained composer. When performing live Unlimited Gravity uses completely original productions that are helping to usher in a new era of musicality, creativity, and originality in electronic music. We can’t wait to dance, dance, dance!
- Caribou Mountain Collective – Also hailing from Nederland, Colorado this quartet is representing the next step in the ongoing revolution of roots music. Their extensive original repertoire channels the rich traditions of both Appalachia and Colorado bluegrass. We look forward to their original lyrics and instrumental compositions which are said to “present unique facets into americana!”
- Tatanka – Homegrown in Denver, Colorado, Tatanka is a quartet specializing in the sounds of dub, progressive reggae, dancehall, and electro soundscapes. Dub Rock Syndicate recently gave the boys the title “the up and coming kings of dubtronic”. We can’t wait to vibe to the pulsing basslines that will keep the heart of the festival pumping!
These are just 10 bands out of 30+ that will be representing Colorado at the ARISE Music Festival. We hope to capture some of all of them but in the mean time make sure you head over to the ARISE web site to find out more info about all the local bands on the lineup. If you still need tickets click here to purchase them!
For the third year in a row boot stompin’, fast pickin’, knee slappin’ dirty roots music has a home in Fort Collins. This weekend, the Choice City Stomp Music Festival will bring acts from across the country to Moe’s Original Bar B Que and the Forge Publick House in Old Town.
If you haven’t been to the Stomp before the music is a little difficult to describe.
“It’s a good mixture of punk rockers who play bluegrass and folk,” said Stomp founder Jimmy Richter behind the counter of his Old Town vintage shop, Little Boxes Vintage LLC.
We focus on the road warrior,” Richter said. “Those acts that are always on the road and kicking ass at it.” “
While this may paint a simple picture, it hardly does justice to the depth of the lineup that this festival has to offer. From poignant singer-songwriters to string bands that will have you dancing, this promises to be an entertaining weekend.
The festival’s opening act is a perfect example. Kiel Grove constantly has his audience laughing to the point of tears over stories of his escapades on the road in between the irreverent folk songs that have made him a local favorite.
The Stomp will feature 18 acts this year from 15 states. Since the start, Richter has worked tirelessly to bring the hardest working and most talented musical acts to town. This year there were 372 applications to play the festival.
“We focus on the road warrior,” Richter said. “Always on the road and kicking ass at it.”
Although there will be a lot of new faces this year, Richter has brought back some old favorites. Both the Calamity Cubes and Matt Woods will be returning for the third year. Richter said that it was unfortunate that he could not bring back all the bands that wanted to play again but it was important to bring back these two since they were the first people he approached when starting to organize the first Stomp and has he described “the heart of it.”
It is obvious that the Stomp has a very close and familial vibe to it. The sense of community that surrounds the event goes deeper than just the music. For the 200 festival attendees, Friday and Saturday will be a time to immerse themselves in what feels like a whiskey filled American block party.
“This weekend is about people I give a shit about. It’s about getting friends to spend time enjoying music with each other,” Richter said.
For more information and tickets visit choicecitystomp.com.
This video features Elijah Wood, Leigh Whannel and Alison Pill in an interview at the Stanley Film Festival. In the video Elijah Wood talks about his paranormal experience at the previous year’s Stanley Film Festival at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado.
As another summer approaches in the beautiful state of Colorado we get to look forward to the many incredible adventures that will come. There are the mountains, nature, hiking, camping, outdoor music, outdoor art, biking and so much more. This might sound like a basic list for all the things a person might try to accomplish over the three months that make up summer, but to the experienced Northern Colorado resident this is a short list of what awaits at the ARISE Music Festival. I say short list because Arise offers opportunities for these basic Colorado summer luxuries and so much more.
Over the last two years the fine folks that put ARISE together have developed an event that beckons all to join in the fun. A family friendly event ARISE is set in the beautiful foothills of the Rocky Mountains just outside Loveland Colorado. Situated on 100 acres at the breath taking Sunrise Ranch, ARISE offers so much more than just music. Over three days you will have the opportunity to get involved, gain awareness and lose yourself in an atmosphere that breaths community.
As you explore the festival grounds you’ll come across an art gallery and art installations, the Rainbow Lightning Children’s’ Village and the Solutions Village. All places that you and your family can become part of a larger family and grow with the people around you. You can experience internationally recognized speakers, screen films and be a part of thoughtful innovated discussions in the Sunrise Dome, a 400 seat domed theater in the middle of the festival grounds.
As you become more aware of the environment and world around you, you may find the need to experience the spirit of the ARISE Music Festival. The Temple of the Heart offers a space committed to bringing festival goers closer to one another and the loving space within. In this sanctuary you can experience diverse yoga flows, breathtaking performances and community building dance parties, all while overseeing the beauty that is Sunrise Ranch.
While you are enveloped in the inviting and inspirational community you can experience some of the best music in the world. Past performers include Xavier Rudd, Beats Antique, The Infamous String Dusters and Random Rab. This year ARISE has brought together another diverse lineup with headliners Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros, Ozomatli, The Polish Ambassador, Joe Russo’s Almost Dead and Emancipator Ensemble . Not only does ARISE bring together great music from around the world but they also invite some of the most talented musicians in Colorado. This year you can experience performances from Skydyed, Project Aspect, Caribou Mountain Collective, Analog Son and many more local heroes’.
“The music is like the fire …. and we all gather around it to warm our souls, the intention of the festival is to facilitate and amplify that inspiration into real life action”. Paul Bassis, Producer ARISE
This video features Elijah Wood, Leigh Whannell & Alison Pill at the Stanley Film Festival. They talk on everything from their new film Cooties directed by Jonathan Milott & Cary Murnion. To past paranormal experiences and their upcoming work.
This video features directors Jonathan Milott & Cary Murnion at the Stanley Film Festival. They talk on everything from their new film Cooties featuring Elijah Wood, Alison Pill and Leigh Whannel to Dragonforce and their short film Boob.
Dubbed the greatest live band in the nation by Spin magazine, Slim Cessna’s Auto Club have a double-LP and live-DVD package on the way to collect the best of the band’s 20-plus year history. An Introduction for Young and Old Europe gathers some of the Auto Club’s greatest studio moments and the DVD documents their 20th anniversary show at the Lion’s Lair in Denver, Colorado. You can watch two videos from the DVD including the brand new video for “Jesus Is In My Body, My Body Has Let Me Down,” premiering in this post. After being on the Alternative Tentacles label for years SCAC has started their own record label SCACUNINC. The album will be released May 12th.
The band is also heading out on an extensive headlining US tour throughout the summer.
All dates are listed, with the new videos, below…
Slim Cessna’s Auto Club — 2015 Tour Dates
5/13/2015 Spearfish SD The Legendary Back Porch
5/14/2015 Fargo ND Aquarium
5/15/2015 Minneapolis MN Indeed Brewing Company
5/16/2015 Chicago IL The Abbey
5/18/2015 Grand Rapids MI The Pyramid Scheme
5/19/2015 Cleveland OH Beachland Tavern
5/20/2015 Hamilton ON Casbah
5/21/2015 Toronto ON Horseshoe Tavern
5/22/2015 Ottawa ON Ritual
5/23/2015 Montreal Qc Divan Orange
5/24/2015 Québec QC L’Agitée – Bar-coop
5/25/2015 Burlington VT The Monkey House
5/26/2015 Boston MA Great Scott
5/27/2015 Providence RI Columbus Theater Club Venue
5/28/2015 New York NY Mercury Lounge
5/29/2015 Brooklyn NY Rough Trade
5/30/2015 Baltimore MD Metro Gallery
5/31/2015 Washington DC Hill Country Live DC
6/2/2015 Pittsburgh PA Club Cafe
6/3/2015 Cincinnati OH MOTR Pub
6/4/2015 St Louis MO Firebird
6/5/2015 Kansas City MO Riot Room
6/6/2015 Omaha NE Slowdown